Saturday, May 21, 2011

I can do this

One question I get asked a lot as a wife of a deployed soldier is "How do you do it? You must be so strong." I too felt the same when I was in their shoes (i.e. not married to a soldier). My good friend Rachel is married to a wonderful man who is also in the Army. She has survived thyroid cancer, having 2 children, completing her Bachelor's and Master's degrees, and is currently in her third year of law school and pursuing a second Master's... all while going through several deployments! She is superwoman/mom. Rachel, if you're reading this you are truly an inspiration! She is raising her children (wonderfully I might add!) and pursuing her dreams. When I asked her way back when how she did it... she simply said, "You never really know what you can handle until you don't have a choice." I thought it was a very clever answer. Now that I'm in her shoes... she's absolutely right.

Yes, I gave birth to my daughter naturally (not how I planned it - I wanted the drugs!) without my husband. He was still overseas, but I did it. I'm raising my 3 year old and my 3 month old while he's serving our country. I'm taking classes for a certification. I'm not living at "home" with my family and friends. I manage our household doing all the chores that have to be done. I manage our finances, which isn't any different since I was doing that before he left. I keep my family together and keep things running. I don't think how hard it is every day, but there are those tough days that seems like it's never ending.

I can do this.
I am doing this.
I'm over halfway done with this deployment - now that is music to my ears.

1 comment:

  1. You and Rusty are BOTH heroes!!!! I commend EVERYTHING you both do and that you both give up for families like mine! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete